- What and how your child is learning;
- The criteria for success;
- What the next learning goals may be; and
- How you can support your child at home.
Please note that on March 15, students are only in attendance during this scheduled meeting time. School buses will not be running on this day.
During student-led conferences, for the most part your child is in charge of showing you what they have been doing and learning at school. When students have the opportunity to show, explain and demonstrate their learning, they are not only communicating their accomplishments and understanding, but also sharing with you what and how they are learning, and the criteria for success. In addition such student involvement:
- Develops your child’s self-assessment and communication skills;
- Builds the independence, confidence, self-esteem and pride of your child;
- Provides an opportunity for your child to receive supportive feedback to further their learning; and
- Provides an opportunity to celebrate your child’s learning.
While your child is leading you through the conference, the teacher will be available to join you for part of the time.
During parent-teacher interviews, you will have the opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher for a short time to learn about your child’s progress, next steps, and ways you can help at home. When you return home, some useful phrases that you can use to communicate with your child about what you have learned are:
- I liked…
- You must be very proud of…
- I noticed that you have improved…
- I felt very proud of you when…
- I noticed that you put a lot of effort into…
- Is there anything at school that you find challenging and would like some help with?
While most student-led conferences / parent-teacher interviews will occur on March 15, a number of teachers are scheduling them over the course of a week or two. Be in touch with your child’s teacher to arrange a time that works best for you. We look forward to this valuable time to meet together to share insights about your child’s progress and ways we can support continued success at school.
In March, schools will be holding either student-led conferences or parent-teacher interviews. March 15 has been set aside on our district calendar for these conferences. The goal of these conferences and interviews is to provide you with a deeper understanding of: