The Campbell River School District has offered a highly successful Grade 6 Late French Immersion Program since 1986. This program of choice is available to all present grade 5 students interested in taking on the challenge and reward of learning in French. Late Immersion is offered at École Phoenix Middle School, a dual track school, with approximately one third of the student population enrolled in the French Immersion Program.
French Immersion is a program designed specifically for children whose first language is not French. Learning another language develops strong communication skills, flexible thinking and expands cultural horizons.
Registration will open at the parent and student information meeting on Wednesday, February 20 at 7:00 p.m. at École Phoenix Middle School Library (400 7th Avenue).
The program accepts a maximum of 28 students. After 28 registrations have been received others will be placed on a waitlist. Siblings of existing French Immersion students will have priority for registration.
Please note that if your child has been accepted into the program there is an expectation that they will stay in the program for the entire school year. We cannot guarantee a space in the English program at École Phoenix Middle School should a French Immersion student leave the program.
What is Late French Immersion?
- Immersion programs (both early and late) are designed for students whose first language is something other than French. Parents DO NOT need to speak French.
- The Late French Immersion program begins in Grade 6 with students who have no previous training in the French language.
- In the first year, 100 percent of all instruction in all subjects is in French.
- In Grades 7 to 9 students receive half of their instruction in French and half in English. Students are also integrated with the Early French Immersion students.
- Students are encouraged to stay in the program through Grade 12 in order to attain a high degree of bilingualism and to graduate with a bilingual Dogwood certificate.
- Students follow the same curriculum as the regular English program, which is defined by the Ministry of Education.
What Late French Immersion is NOT!
- Late French Immersion is NOT a program which has a screening process for admission. All students who have successfully completed Grade 5 are eligible. One of the advantages of a Late French Immersion program is that students are old enough to become part of the decision-making process.
- The program is NOT an elitist program. It is expected that the educational experience of students will be enhanced.
- It is NOT a program which causes English skills to suffer. Research indicates that these skills tend to remain as good as those skills incorporated in the regular English program.
For more information on the Late French Immersion program, contact the principal of École Phoenix Middle School at (250) 287.8346 or Nevenka Fair, Assistant Superintendent at (250) 830.2325.