The Campbell River School District wants each student under its care to travel to and from school by safe means. Grants are provided to the district by the Ministry of Education for transporting students who live beyond walking limits, to their nearest public school.
Who is Eligible for School Bus Transportation
School bus transportation is provided for:
- Kindergarten to Grade 3 students living more than 4 km from the nearest school, and;
- Grade 4 to 12 students living more than 4.8 km from the school in their catchment area.
Where students live outside the walk limits from their school and transportation is not provided within 4 km of the student's residence, parents may apply for a transportation allowance.
Bus Service for 2020-2021
Bus transportation will be available to those students who are eligible based on walk limits, live on reserve or require special needs transportation.
Bus ridership will require a daily health check before boarding the bus. We ask that elementary parents have a responsible adult wait at the bus stop with their child in the morning as children who are unwell will be required to return home.
NEW! BUS PASSES: Students who require bus transportation for 2020-2021 and are eligible based on the walk limits, as well as students who require special needs transportation, must register online for a bus pass. Students who live on reserve DO NOT need to register online as they will be registered for bus transportation in partnership with their band office.
Click here to register a student for bus pass
*New applications only, see below for lost or damaged passes.
Bus students will be issued a bus pass that they must present each time they board the bus to allow for contact tracing by public health should there be a case of COVID-19. Bus passes for special needs students will be kept on the school bus with the bus driver and an educational assistant will help with scanning the student's pass.
Parents will receive a letter informing them of the status of their application and, if approved, students will receive their bus pass from their school office. Until the student receives their pass, they will need to provide their first and last name to the bus driver.
If you have questions or concerns about a bus route, contact the transportation department at (250) 287.8808.
Courtesy Ridership or Change Requests
If your bus pass request has been denied, parents can apply for courtesy ridership after September 30. Courtesy ridership is only approved if there is remaining space on the route after all eligible riders have been processed and is on a first-come-first-serve basis.
To request courtesy ridership or a school bus change, complete the request form below and submit it to the head bus driver at the school district's maintenance and transportation department, located at 1621 14th Avenue or fax to (250) 287.2371.
Parent & Student Information
* Bus ridership now requires students to complete a daily health check. Parents of elementary aged students should have a responsible adult wait at the bus stop with their child in the morning as children who are unwell will be required to return home.
- Students should be at the bus stop at least 10 minutes before the normal pick-up time.
- Parents are responsible for the behaviour and safety of their children at bus stops.
- Any student found willfully damaging a school bus will be required to pay for damages and additional disciplinary action may be taken.
- All drivers are reminded that no vehicle shall pass a school bus from either direction when its red lights are flashing. Where no pull-off is available, the bus will stop on the roadway and use the red lights flashing to warn traffic that it is discharging students. The students must not cross with the red flashing lights, but wait until the bus leaves and then cross the roadway when it is safe to do so.
Lost or Damaged Bus Passes
If your child's bus pass is lost or damaged, please contact either the transportation department (firstname.lastname@example.org or (250) 287.8808) or your school office to get a replacement pass. Depending on the circumstances, there may be a replacement fee of $10.
What to Do if the School Bus Doesn't Arrive
Due to unforeseen circumstances, a school bus may be late. Parents should have an alternate plan for their children in the event a bus comes late or does not arrive. If, after 20 minutes, the school bus has not arrived, students should return home and phone their school or the transportation department at (250) 287.8808 for further assistance.
Severe Weather Service
In the event road conditions, such as ice or snow, make it unsafe or impossible for school buses to enter areas usually served, bus service may be limited. Every effort will be made to notify parents in the event limited service becomes necessary. Notification will also be posted on the home page of this website.
Problems on the School Bus
Here are the steps to follow if your child has a problem on the school bus:
- Contact the principal of your child's school. The principal will make every attempt to solve the problem at the school level.
- Phone the head bus driver at (250) 287.8808. The head bus driver is in charge of all the drivers in the transportation department and will make every attempt to solve the problem at the district level.
What to Do If You Have Questions or Concerns Regarding Bus Service
The following is a step-by-step approach parents can follow to have their concerns regarding bus service addressed.
- Phone the head bus driver at (250) 287.8808.
- Submit something in writing, addressing your concern, to
- If, after discussion with the head bus driver, you feel that your concern is still unresolved, contact the manager of operations at (250) 830.2334.
- Following that, contact the secretary-treasurer at (250) 830.2302.
Student parking is available at Carihi and Timberline Senior Secondary Schools. Please contact the secondary school for more information on student parking.
Visitor parking is available at all Campbell River schools. Parking is also available to the public in all school parking lots after school hours unless otherwise marked.