With Halloween coming up, here are some useful safety tips to keep in mind before heading out for your Halloween festivities.
- Never let children trick-or-treat alone. Always have them walk with an adult or a group of friends.
- Make sure your trick-or-treater can be seen. Have them wear reflective, bright coloured costumes, or fasten reflective tape to their costume or bag.
- Have them carry a flashlight so that they can see where they are going.
- Walk, don't run.
- Stay in familiar neighbourhoods.
- Don't cut across yards or driveways.
- Make sure your child's costume doesn't drag on the ground so that they won't trip and have them wear comfortable shoes.
- Wear makeup instead of a mask. This will allow your child to see and to be aware of everything going on around them while walking from house to house.
- Obey traffic signals and give traffic the right of way.
- Only approach houses that have the outside lights turned on.
- Stay away from and don't pet animals you don't know.
- Never enter a stranger's home or car for a treat.
- Don't let your child eat any treats until you or another responsible adult has inspected them.
- Don't crisscross the street or run out from between parked cars. Always go down one side of the street, cross at the corner, and then down the other side.
- Watch out for cars pulling out of driveways and backing up.
- Remember, stranger = danger!
Have fun and stay safe!