April 17, 2014
Dear Parent / Guardian,
As part of their ongoing contract negotiations with the BC Public School Employers Association (BCPSEA) and the provincial government, the BC Teachers’ Federation (BCTF) has announced that teachers will begin Stage 1 job action on Wednesday, April 23.
School districts have been informed that during Stage 1 job action teachers will not:
- Undertake any mandated supervision of students outside of regularly scheduled classes, except as set out by an essential services order.
- Attend any meetings with management other than meetings of the worksite Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Provide principals or administrators with any routine printed, written, or electronic communication.
- Receive any printed, written, or electronic communication from an administrator.
- Be at a worksite prior to one hour before commencement of instructional time and one hour after the end of instructional time, other than for pre-arranged voluntary activities.
Teachers will continue to teach, write report cards, communicate with parents, and participate in their volunteer extracurricular activities.
Should job action escalate, parents / guardians will be notified of changes in school operating procedures as quickly as possible. Parents / guardians will receive a telephone call and email home using the district’s automated notification system and additional notification will be provided through the local radio stations and on the district website (www.sd72.bc.ca
While negotiation of a new collective agreement takes place at the provincial level between BCPSEA and the BCTF, it continues to be the hope of the Campbell River Board of Education that a timely and mutually agreeable outcome will be able to be reached.
As more information becomes available, the district will strive to keep parents and the public informed through the school district website at www.sd72.bc.ca
. More general information about teacher contract negotiations is also available at www.bcpsea.bc.ca
, the BC Public School Employers Association website or www.bctf.ca
, the BC Teachers’ Federation website.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
. Emails will be responded to within 24 hours.
Superintendent of Schools, School District 72