The parent is the first and most important teacher in a child's life. Campbell River School District supports parents in this important role by providing a free, early learning program, called StrongStart, for young children from birth to kindergarten and their parents or caregivers.
Under the direction of licensed early childhood educators, parents and children participate in early learning activities, such as story time, music, singing, art and puzzles.
Children gain problem-solving skills and build self-esteem and the social skills that will help them when they enter school. Parents and caregivers learn activities that they can do at home to further support their child's learning and nutrition, as well as connect with other parents and caregivers.
Reopening & COVID-19 Protocols
Our district StrongStart Centres are open with the following health and safety protocols in effect:
- Centres will open 15 minutes after the school bell as a delayed start to reduce outside traffic. Families will meet the coordinator at a designated outside spot and will be escorted in and out of the centre because of the school's limited building access to parents and visitors.
- Each centre will operate one 2.5 hour session per day with a limit of seven families in attendance.
- Only one adult can attend from each family and adults must wear masks.
- Families are required to pre-register with a birth certificate and can sign up monthly at the centre of their choice and can only attend one session per week. To allow for as much access as possible, priority will be given to families who have not already had an opportunity to attend and families cannot sign up to attend multiple centres.
- Families must perform daily health checks before attending a StrongStart program and not attend if there are any symptoms.
To sign up to attend a StrongStart program, email the program coordinator for the centre of your choice (remember families cannot sign up to attend multiple centres).
*StrongStart is only available for preschool aged children and a parent/caregiver. School-aged homeschool or eBlend students cannot attend StrongStart.